Sunday, 9 October 2011

This week's word is: SURREAL

Okay, dragon fans. Hands up (or even paws up) anyone who thought The Last Dragon Chronicles couldn't get any weirder? Wrong! This final section is probably stranger than ANYTHING that's gone before. And I do mean anything. This is Chris d'Lacey, the author, by the way, in case you're missing Zookie's laconic style. I'm taking over from him for the next few weeks while he sorts out what the heck is going on in my crazy head (erm...?) Take this morning, for instance. I embarked on my usual 750-1000 words, but I wasn't really looking forward to it. As I've said before, much of this book is historical in nature and takes place waaaay back in time and well away from Wayward Crescent. But you'd have hunted me down in giant packs if I hadn't brought the narrative back to the Pennykettle house at some stage. The problem was, what to do once I got there. This book eventually picks up from the incidents at the end of DARK FIRE. Forget Scuffenbury for a moment. If you remember, Liz had fallen ill at number 42 (after Gwilanna had meddled and released the dark fire by mistake from her body) and Arthur had ended up in the wardrobe! So I did have some strong loose ends to tie up and sent Alexa back to sort it out. But then Gwilanna changed the timeline and...well, as you can imagine, everything went a little strange. Don't even ask about David and Lucy. Their story is even more bizarre. Messing around with time makes me feel like I'm writing an episode of Doctor Who. If I gave David a sonic screwdriver I think he'd be on TV every Saturday night. So, loyal followers, I can't tell you what happens, I can only give you hints. Watch out for some real peculiarities in this book. And when it's all done, don't ask me to explain a WORD of it. Time is practically impossible to wrap your head around. You just have to read it, enjoy it and totally ABSORB it.


Have to go. Tons of stuff to do in the new house. Yesterday was all about buying bath mats. Today it was a leaking radiator. What fun. Until next time. Happy reading. Hrrr!

Blog Archive