Sunday, 12 June 2011

This week's word is: LEGENDS

Hello dragon fans. The author here. It’s a wet and miserable day in the Crescent, the kind of dull grey weather that wouldn't encourage anyone to sit down and write, though it's always a pleasure to be a 'guest' on Zookie's blog! No real news this week. The Fire Ascending is coming along fine. Not motoring along as I’d like, but progressing. I’m still working on Gwilanna’s back story, but Gadzooks has wandered off somewhere to muse about the final part of the book. We know how we ultimately want it to end. How to get to that ending is the tricky part, but he’s working on it.

Lately, we’ve been discussing the future as well. A lot of people ask me what I’ll do when the dragon books are finished. The truth is, I don’t really know, though I can’t imagine leaving dragons aside entirely. Part of the fun of being a writer is putting these kinds of thoughts out to the universe and seeing what comes back. I was watching a new production of the King Arthur story on TV last night (Merlin, Excalibur, Camelot etc.) and it struck me that what I’d really like to do is invent a new legend. In effect, I’ve been experimenting with this in the early parts of The Fire Ascending. Agawin is not unlike a young King Arthur. He doesn’t pull swords from stones, but he does get to fight a horrible villain and he does rise to become one of the most important characters in the whole series. I love the old Norse legends, too. I grew up on stories of Thor and the Vikings. And let’s not forget the Greeks and the thrilling tales of Odysseus, Achilles etc. What makes these legends so memorable is the fact that they are all great, great stories. They stick in my head even though I can’t remember reading them in my boyhood. Whatever comes next for me, I will be looking to emulate stories like that. I would love to write a book that people will still be reading one hundred or maybe one thousand years from now. Something even more memorable than the Chronicles. I know from the letters we get that my books are already fixed in a lot of people’s consciousness. But it would be great to have something so compelling that just about EVERYONE has heard of it. Tough task, but I’m not in this business just to bash something out and take the money. I’m here to make a difference. Hand on heart, I don’t think I’ve got to the bottom of dragons yet. So I reckon they will definitely feature in future books, it's really just a question of how. I once heard a writer friend say that he wouldn’t want to write a vampire story unless he could come up with a decent twist on the genre. That’s what I’m looking for, I guess, a twist. When I find it (when Zookie writes it on his pad) you guys will be the first to know about it. In the meantime, happy reading. And once again thanks for all your fantastic tweets and emails about Fire World, which is really making a mark with some of you. Hrrr!

Blog Archive